The Devonport High School for boys is a grammer school and Academy, for boys aged 11 to 18, in Plymouth, Devon. Its catchment area includes southwest Devon and southeast Cornwall as well as Plymouth. Pupils are accepted on the basis of academic aptitude.
The school was founded by Alonzo Rider on Albert road, Devonport in January 1896 to meet the needs of boys in Plymouth and district seeking a career in the Navy, as engineers and civil servants.
In 1906 the Devonport Borough Council took over the school and over the next thirty years it continued to teach boys who came from the city or in by train from the Tamar Valley and Cornwall. After WW2 the school moved to the present site, the former Stoke Military Hospital on Paradise Road,which had been built in 1797.
In March 2011 the school was designated an “Outstanding school” and achieved “ Type Two” Academy Status, under the Coalition’s Government’s Academy scheme.
Totus Engineering of Exeter have recently carried out a refurbishment project at the school and selected Smedegaard Pumps and Pressurisation sets to replace older existing equipment.
Smedegaard Omega ECOFlexx glanded pumps with integral inverter drives were installed giving cost savings by improved energy effiecency and reduced power as well as ensuring compliance with the new European Legislation ErP directive.
A number of Pressurisation units were installed during the refurbishment the first being the compact wall mounted WallPress Whisper unit fitted with quality motors that have the added benefit of being almost silent in operation. The second was the WallPress Elite designed for the larger system, but still wall mounted and quiet in operation. The final one being the FloorPress Duo combined fill and top up unit fitted with twin pumps and supplied with four 500 litre expansion vessels.